Polyhouse is one type of green house where polyethylene is used as the cover.
In India, polyhouse farming is the most popular greenhouse technology for it’s low cost of construction. Lath house is another greenhouse technology where wood is used as the cover.
Poly house is economical compared to glass house or greenhouse but the later is more durable than polyhouse.
In conventional Agronomical practices, the crops are being grown / cultivated in the open field under natural conditions where the crops are more susceptible to sudden changes in climate i.e. temperature, humidity, light intensity, photo period and other conditions due to which the quality, yield of a particular crop can get affected and may be decreased.
Polyhouse is a type of greenhouse or we can say that it is a smaller version of greenhouse, where polyethylene is used as the cover. In developing countries like India, polyhouse farming is a popular greenhouse technology due to its low cost of construction and easy maintenance. Lath house is one more greenhouse technology where wood is used as the cover.
Poly house is cheaper as compared to greenhouse but the later is more long-lasting than polyhouse
Polyhouse is very beneficial for the farmers specially those who prefer organic farming. here are few of the benefits of a polyhouse:
- Your plants are grown under controlled temperature thus there is less chances of crop loss or damage.
- You can grow crops throughout the year and will not have to wait for any particular season.
- There are less pests and insects in a polyhouse.
- External climate will not have any impact of the growth of crops.
- Quality of produce is obviously higher in polyhouse.
- Good drainage and aeration
- Propagation of Ornamental Crops can also be done effortlessly in a polyhouse.
- Poly House gives the right environmental facilities to your plants in any season.
- It also increases yield for about 5 to 10 times.
- Less cropping period
- Fertilizer application is easier and is controlled automatically with the help of drip irrigation
- Fruits that can be grown are Papaya, Strawberry etc.
- Vegetables that can be grown include Cabbage, Bitter Gourd, Capsicum, Radish, Cauliflower, Chili, Coriander, Onion, Spinach, Tomato etc.
- Flowers like Carnation, Gerbera, Marigold, Orchid, and Rose can also be easily grown.